ANN: Dogelog Runtime, Prolog to the Moon (2021)

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 15 14:22:37 EDT 2021

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 03:26:39 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 3:17 AM Mostowski Collapse
> <janburse at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> I really wonder why my Python implementation is a factor 40 slower than
>> my JavaScript implementation.
>> Structurally its the same code.
>>

> Very hard to know. Your code is detailed and complicated. Do they
> produce identical results? Are you using the same sort of floating-point
> data everywhere, or is one integer and the other float?
> What's going on with all the globals, the continuations, etc? My
> suspicion is that you're trying to write weird, wonky Python code, and
> then are surprised that it doesn't perform well.
>
> ChrisA

And this demonstrates how an experienced Python programmer can make an
almost spot on diagnosis without even checking the source code.

@ this stage I would recommend watching some presentations on you tube

this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-BqAjZb8M by Raymond Hettinger
is brilliant as it highlights there is more to checking code than just
making sure it looks nice & runs correctly.

--
Lemmings don't grow older, they just die.