on writing a while loop for rolling two dice

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Tue Sep 7 21:20:13 EDT 2021

Greg,

Yes, a smart person may come up with such tricks but a really smart person,
in my view, adjusts. With some exceptions, such as when trying to port
existing code to a new language quickly, someone who is not too obsessive
will try to pick up the goals and spirit of a new language and use them when
it seems reasonable. And, a smart person, if they see nothing new, might
just go back to their old language or ...

Pick a language that easily supports regular expressions and object creation
and functional programming and so on, like python, and ask why you might
want to use it to simulate a really old version of BASIC when you can just
use BASIC.

Admittedly, most people are not flexible. I find that with human languages
too that some learn another language just enough to recognize words but not
to use the changed grammar or the different idioms and never become fluent.

I am amused though at the fact that python, by using indentation rather than
things like curly braces, would make some of the games like shown below
quite a bit more difficult.