on floating-point numbers

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 22:59:12 EDT 2021

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Hope Rouselle <hrouselle at jevedi.com> wrote:

> Julio Di Egidio <julio at diegidio.name> writes:

> >> Pretty harsh, isn't it? He gave a concise example of the same inaccuracy
> >> right afterwards.
> >
> > And I thought you were not seeing my posts...
> >
> > Given that I have already given a full explanation, you guys, that you
> > realise it or not, are simply adding noise for the usual pub-level
> > discussion I must most charitably guess.
> >
> > Anyway, just my opinion.  (EOD.)
>
> Which is certainly appreciated --- as a rule.  Pub-level noise is pretty
> much unavoidable in investigation, education.  Being wrong is, too,
> unavoidable in investigation, education.  There is a point we eventually
> publish at the most respected journals, but that's a whole other
> interval of the time-line.  IOW, chill out! :-D (Give us a C-k and meet
> us up in the next thread.  Oh, my, you're not a Gnus user: you are a
> G2/1.0 user.  That's pretty scary.)

I'm not a fan of the noise level in a pub, but I have absolutely no
problem with arguing these points out. And everyone (mostly) in this
thread is being respectful. I don't mind when someone else is wrong,
especially since - a lot of the time - I'm wrong too (or maybe I'm the
only one who's wrong).

ChrisA