The task is to invent names for things

Martin Di Paola martinp.dipaola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:03:30 EDT 2021

IMHO, I prefer really weird names.

For example if I'm not sure how to name a class that I'm coding, I name it
like XXXYYY (literally). Really ugly.

This is a way to avoid the so called "naming paralysis".

Once I finish coding the class I look back and it should be easy to see "what
it does" and from there, the correct name.

If the "what it does" results in multiple things I refactor it, splitting it
into two or more pieces and name each separately.

Some people prefer using more generic names like "Manager", "Helper",
"Service" but those names are problematic.

Yes, they fit in any place but that's the problem. If I'm coding a class and I
name it as "FooHelper", I may not realize later that the class is doing too
many things (unrelated things), because "it is a helper".

The thing gets wrong with the time; I bet that most of us saw a "Helper" class
with thousands of lines (~5000 lines was my record) that just grows over time.