walrus with a twist :+= or ...

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Oct 27 22:50:56 EDT 2021

Correct, I left out a bit, not wisely.

I am trying to remember the last time (outside of classes) I have ever had
to use bitwise operators nontrivially and it may have been around 1980 when
I had to implement an encryption algorithm. Of course, when I was working in
UNIX, I often had to combine bitwise things to specify all kinds on 1-bit
flags when say opening a file.

So we now have so many candidates FOR COMPLETENESS to add as variants of the
Walrus operator, that I might vote to do NONE of them, if anyone ever asked.

I do want to remind people though that these operators often serve a purpose
in Python as using them means you do not need to specify an argument twice
and you can specify some dunder methods that make it more efficient to type:

obj += obj2

rather than

obj = obj + obj2

So there may be a valid argument, not just about completeness, to implement
something BUT as we got along fine before a walrus came along, ...

or did we?