spyder does not work under root! [linux]

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Oct 14 11:16:28 EDT 2021

On 10/13/21 16:55, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 10/13/21 12:09 PM, Paulo da Silva wrote:
>> spyder and eric are both python editors/debuggers! Why are they related
>> with web browsers?!
>
> Good point. I was going off of the chromium bug report. My bad.  I
> mistook Spyder for Selenium, which is a web scraping scripting engine
> that does use a real browser.  Oops.
>
> However, for better or worse, browser engines power all kinds of apps
> these days, including IDEs. I do not know if Spyder is powered by
> Chromium or not.  VS Code, for example,  is powered by a web browser engine.
>
> As to Eric and Qt, I can't speak to that.

(sorry sent this wrong place first time)

The configuration dialog in eric uses its WebBrowser module, which uses
qtwebengine, which uses Chromium, which gives you the error.  It's not a
Python error, fwiw.

It seems there's an environment variable you can try in the Qt world
(I've never had occasion to check this out):

https://forum.qt.io/topic/94721/running-as-root-without-no-sandbox-is-not-supported