print('\N{flag: Mauritius}') not supported in py3.9

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Mon Nov 29 18:31:24 EST 2021

On 30Nov2021 10:59, DL Neil <PythonList at DancesWithMice.info> wrote:
>Fedora names it as rxvt-unicode.
>Installed v9.26
>Text is too small for these old eyes.

Fair enough. There are resources, but not worth it unless you really
want the app.

>No menu bar and no context menus.

Um, yes. The (hardware, serial) terminals we had a uni didn't have such
niceties, and therefore we should not want them.

>Unable to copy-paste (the flag codes) into that window.
>Removed.

Fair enough.

>I choose not to even try to remember the difficulties of working with
>small screens over-laying one another and 'getting lost' in the pile!

Aye. Tiling is very nice.

>I'm a lazy toad. Thus the idea that the IDE will allow me to 'press a
>(single) button' to repeat the last-run test/execute the code, without
>me having to commit a Save and to jump between panels/windows/screens,
>is seductive.

I once had a vi macro bound to ";" for "^W:!!^M", which autosaves the
current file and reran the last shell command. Used it a lot in the
single-terminal days. I unbound it several years ago though.

>I've nominated Kitty as
>Fedora's default terminal. We'll see how it goes with work-loads beyond
>raising the flag...

I'd like to hear how that goes down the track. If I find myself on a
Linux desktop again a good terminal emulator would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>