print('\N{flag: Mauritius}') not supported in py3.9

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Mon Nov 29 16:19:02 EST 2021

On 29Nov2021 22:25, DL Neil <PythonList at DancesWithMice.info> wrote:
>>> Probably a font issue. Not many fonts support the flags.
>>
>> Agree about the font support. Some terminal emulators make an effort to
>> have fallback fonts for when your preferred font lacks a glyph. IIRC
>> urxvt is such a terminal on Linux.
>
>Not sure about this. Most other applications on this PC will display the
>two countries' flags, as desired, eg Writer, web-browser, even xed
>(basic text editor).

Seem Stefan Ram's advice, which points out that you can tell if this is
a font problem (no flag glyph) or a combining problem (2 glyphs
presented instead of one). I had not considered that.

>rxvt: won't compile, gave-up fighting unfamiliar requirements

See if there's a package for urxvt, which was the "unicode" flavour of
rxvt (long ago - rxvt if probably supposed to be unicode capable these
days, surely).

>Kitty: works!

Yay!

>Kitty is not something I've come-across before. Its write-up says
>«
>Kitty is a free, open-source, and fast, feature-rich, GPU accelerated
>terminal emulator for Linux, that supports all present-day terminal
>features, such as Unicode, true color, text formatting, bold/italic
>fonts, tiling of multiple windows and tabs, etc.

A tiling terminal emulator can be a great thing. I'm on a Mac with
iTerm, which:
- has tabs
- has panes (split the view into multiple panels, each running a
  terminal)

My personal dev desktop tends to use a full screen iTerm split
vertically into 2 panes: an editor on the left (vim, itself split
vertically into 2 vim windows) and a shell on the right; sometimes
several shells (right hand pane further split horizontally).

Then, since I tend to keep per-branch checkouts around, tabs for the
things I'm working on, each configured as above. Then I just switch tabs
for the different areas.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>