pyinstaller wrong classified as Windows virus

Thu Nov 25 12:48:47 EST 2021

On 11/25/21 12:21 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 4:18 AM Ulli Horlacher
> <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, if you're not going to go to the effort of getting your
>>> executables signed
>> I cannot sign my executables (how can I do it anyway?), because Windows
>> deletes my executable as soon as I have compiled them! They exist only
>> for a few seconds and then they are gone.
>>

>>> another reason to just distribute .py files.
>> I cannot do that because my users do not have Python installed and they
>> are not allowed to do it.
>>
> Are they really allowed to install your unsigned executables but are
> not allowed to install Python from a known and trusted source?
>
> If there's some bizarre loophole that allows them to run completely
> untrusted binary code, but not to run legitimate code that can be
> fetched from a variety of trusted places (including python.org, the
> Windows store, etc), then I'm afraid you're on your own, and will
> probably need to play around with the exact loophole to figure out
> what is going to be permitted.
>
> Alternatively, just go find the person who decides what gets
> installed, and request a Python interpreter to be added to the
> permitted list. That's probably easier, and it's certainly going to be
> better long-term.
>
> ChrisA

My first guess is it isn't so much what is 'allowed' but what can be
easily done.

On a somewhat locked down computer, the user does not have admin rights,
so needs to get 'IT' to run any installers that need admin permissions
to run.

And EXE that just needs to be copied to the computer and rhen just RUN,
doesn't need IT to 'install' it (they just can't put it into Program
Files, but that isn't really that important for programs that don't need
an installer.

Likely, just copying an EXE file from an outside source may still be
against the rules (and needs approval), but some think if they can do it
and no one complains, it must be ok. On the other hand, they may have
given approval, knowing the source.

--
Richard Damon