pyinstaller wrong classified as Windows virus

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 10:11:14 EST 2021

On 11/25/21 2:20 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> When I compile my programs with pyinstaller, Windows classifies them as
> virus and even deletes them!
>
> pyinstaller.exe --onefile --noconsole -i fex.ico fextasy.py
> 187 INFO: PyInstaller: 4.7
> 187 INFO: Python: 3.10.0
> 218 INFO: Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0
> 218 INFO: wrote P:\W10\fextasy.spec
> (...)
> 14392 INFO: Copying 0 resources to EXE
> 14392 INFO: Emedding manifest in EXE
> 14392 INFO: Updating manifest in P:\W10\dist\fextasy.exe
> 14533 INFO: Updating resource type 24 name 1 language 0
> 14579 INFO: Appending PKG archive to EXE
> 18836 INFO: Building EXE from EXE-00.toc completed successfully.
>
> https://fex.flupp.org/fop/ylds7Y9d/X-20211125101112.png
>
> What can I do?

False positive virus detection is pretty common with pyinstaller from
what I can see on the Googles.  It's actually very common problem with
less-popular compilers and languages too. Not sure what it is that trips
them all up.

Submit your exe to virustotal.com and then the only real solution is to
submit it to each major antivirus vendor as a false positive and hope
things get changed.