pytest segfault, not with -v

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 13:59:55 EST 2021

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 10:09 AM Marco Sulla <Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know how to check the refcounts, but I don't know how to check the
> memory usage, since it's not a program, it's a simple library. Is
> there not a way to check inside Python the memory usage? I have to use
> a bash script (I'm on Linux)?

ps auxww
...can show you how much memory is in use for the entire process.

It's commonly combined with grep, like:
ps auxww | head -1
ps auxww | grep my-program-name

Have a look at the %MEM, VSZ and RSS columns.

But being out of memory doesn't necessarily lead to a segfault - it can (EG
if a malloc failed, and some C programmer neglected to do decent error
checking), but an OOM kill is more likely.