How to debug python + curses? [was: RE: Applying winpdb_reborn]

pjfarley3 at earthlink.net pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Sun May 30 13:26:40 EDT 2021

I tried winpdb-reborn some time last year on my Win10 system (python 3.8.3
at that time), but could not figure out how to use it to debug a python
script that uses the curses module.

Does anyone here know if winpdb-reborn or any other debugger can support
2-window debugging for a python script that uses the curses module?  It
seems to me that a 2-window debugging session is necessary for a python
script that uses the curses module because using curses takes over the
screen from which the script is started, so debugging output and script
output need to be in separate windows.

I've been forced to use a logger to trace critical values and program flow
for errors in such a script.  It works, but it is annoyingly slow to debug
that way.

TIA for any advice or RTFM you can provide.

Peter