learning python ...

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri May 28 11:04:11 EDT 2021

On 5/27/21 12:29 PM, hw wrote:
> When the idea is to learn something, it's not exactly helpful to abandon
> that idea when encountering the first obstacle or when someone tells you
> you don't like it as much as they do ...

We've had many new users approach the mailing list over the years.
Always, early on, one can tell what the chances of success are, and
which will end poorly.  This is why I questioned whether Python was a
good fit for you. Your attitude early on kind of raised alarm bells.
We've seen this before.  Many people on this list have patiently
answered you questions.  And while you seem to be holding on longer than
many, it's not clear to me you want to learn Python.  If your goal is to
learn and use python for some purpose, whining about how it acts
differently than you think it should, or how you would do something
different than Guido did, is not helpful to that purpose.  Why would you
think it is?  My prediction is your attitude will cause you to abandon
Python very soon, and you'll go away from this list with a sour taste in
your mouth, which is unfortunate, but completely of your own making.

Python is a powerful and expressive language and one I really enjoy
using, probably more so than any language I've ever used over the
decades.  It has warts of course.  Python makes a very poor C, Java, or
even Perl.  It's not for everyone or every purpose.