imaplib: is this really so unwieldy?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed May 26 02:02:37 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-25, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:21:39 +0200, hw <hw at adminart.net> declaimed the
> following:
>

>>Oh ok, it seemed to be fine.  Would it be the right way to do it with
>>sys.exit()?  Having to import another library just to end a program
>>might not be ideal.
>
> 	I've never had to use sys. for exit...
>
> C:\Users\Wulfraed>python
> Python ActivePython 3.8.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
>  on win32
>
> C:\Users\Wulfraed>python

According to the docs (and various other sources), the global variable
"exit" is provided by the site module and is only for use at the
interactive prompt -- it should not be used in programs.

  https://docs.python.org/3/library/constants.html#exit

I get the impression that real programs should not assume that the
site module has been pre-loaded during startup.

--
Grant