learning python ...

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Mon May 24 10:32:57 EDT 2021

On 24/05/2021 14:34, hw wrote:

> Your claim that I'm insulting python or anoyone is ridiculous.
> According to your logic, C is insulting python.  I suggest you stop
> making assumptions.
Calling a mature, widely used language "unfinished" because of what
*you* see as a defect *is* insulting.
(Of course, all languages evolve, and Python is no exception.  But the
change you are in effect proposing won't happen.)
And using a hectoring arrogant tone as a self-confessed Python beginner
when addressing veterans with decades of experience in *developing
Python* as well as developing with Python (disclosure: I'm not
describing myself) is unlikely to endear anyone to your views.

Python has few keywords (deliberately so), and anything that is not a
keyword can be used as an identifier.  That will stop your program from
crashing in 5 years time if a new built-in type is added to the language
that happens to have the same name as an identifier you used (like maybe
'quaternion'  'matrix'  'group'  'query', to imagine a few).

One day you may want to write (as you can in Python)

     class int(int):

to shadow the built-in 'int' type with a modified version.  I'm not
suggesting this has many real world applications, but it can be fun to
play with.  Python has a "consenting adults" policy: it assumes that if
you do something weird, you're doing it deliberately, and it doesn't try
to stop you.  I am sure after a little more experience with Python you
will remember the commonest built-in types (int, float, list, dict, str
etc.).

Regards
Rob Cliffe