Question for potential python development contributions on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 23 22:05:11 EDT 2021

On 5/23/2021 12:20 PM, pjfarley3 at earthlink.net wrote:
> I asked this question on python-dev last week but did not get an answer.  If
> anyone here know the answer I would appreciate it.
>
> The Python Developers Guide specifically states to get VS2017 for developing
> or enhancing python on a Windows system.
>
> Is it still correct to specifically use VS2017 , or is VS2019 also
> acceptable?
>
> I ask this because I know that the *.vcxproj files and other
> build-environment files have changed format pretty dramatically over the
> many releases of VS.  If a potential new contribution targeted for current
> and future python will require new build environment files, I wouldn’t want
> to have to “down release” those files (or expect core dev’s to do it) at or
> after submission to the community for approval.  Much better to use the same
> setup as core dev’s use than to introduce up-level differences in the build
> environment.
>
> IOW, for new releases on Windows are core dev’s still using VS2017 and so
> potential contributors should also use that version, or has the core dev’s
> process for Windows releases been updated to use VS2019?

I am pretty sure that VS2019 output is binary compatible with with
output from VS2017 and VS2015.  I believe the only issue would be is one
were developing a patch to a CPython .c file and one used recent C##
features not allowed in CPython code.

You could open an issue on bugs.python.org asking that the doc be clarified.

--
Terry Jan Reedy