Issue in software

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sun May 23 17:18:07 EDT 2021

On 5/22/21 10:45 PM, pradeep Y wrote:
> I I couldn't get the solution for this issue since last week will you
> please help me to solve this issue the issue is when I opened command
> prompt this below message will Pop up
>

> "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-[1-1-0.dl] is
> missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this
> problem."
>

> I tried to solve several times and many times but I didn't get any expected
> outcome. Can you please help me please.

You're running Windows 7?  That's where this usually happens.

Here's (some of) the deal: when you build a program with Microsoft
compilers (MSVC) it links in a way so that it requires certain runtime
components. This is absolutely no different than other compilers +
operating systems, to start with.  In this case, the msvc version
current Pythons are built with require a component that isn't available
by default on Windows 7, or in fact, the WIndows 8 variants, which are
quite old (*); it is included in Windows 10.  The Python installer
includes this piece, because it's a known issue, and it will try to
installe it, but if you don't select an install with administrator
privilege - and the Python devs worked hard to make it not necessary to
do an admin install otherwise - installing it will fail... often
silently from the point of view of what you as the user see  (probably
will be in the logfile). Sometimes it fails even with admin privilege
AFAIK. Easiest workaround is to install the package that contains it -
manually copying in dll files rarely works as expected.  It comes from
"Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable", if I'm not remembering wrong - that's
something you should be able to find and install.

(*) Win7 came out in 2009; Win8 in 2012; Win8.1 in 2013. It's somehow
not entirely unsurprising that they wouldn't come with a piece of
software that was introduced with Visual Studio 2015.