Python install failing. Install log is available.

jan rtm443x at googlemail.com
Thu May 20 07:06:08 EDT 2021

Hi,

I've usually had problems installing python, typically pip breaking.

This time it's simply not installing correctly when run as
administrator, and not at all when run as non-administrator.

As administrator, it's not installing for other users as I believe it should.

It's certainly not adding the python path correctly *for all users*
(install option "add python to environment variables"), from a command
console run as admin:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>whoami
antik\administrator

C:\WINDOWS\system32>echo %PATH%
C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files\dotnet\;C:\Program
Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\;C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\;C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\Administrator\.dotnet\tools

It's there, but from a non-admin console (I work just a normal user):

C:\Users\jan>whoami
antik\jan

C:\Users\jan>echo %path%
C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files\dotnet\;C:\Program
Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Programs\Git\cmd

So no python path added.

When install is run as non-administrator it seems to fail outright due
to lack of privileges.  The install log for this non-admin is
available on request (I'd rather not attach it as it contain have
sensitive info, but can post it publicly if really wanted. It's 60K).

I tried elevating my non-admin account to admin then re-running the
python installer, it broke.

Trying to reinstall it has now lost all associations with the .py
extension. I don't know what's going on.

My build depends on python and obviously that's failing now.  I've
worked around it by downloading and unzipping python embedded, setting
the file association and hardcoding file paths, but that's certainly
not ideal.

Any thoughts?

Using python-3.9.5-amd64.exe, OS is win 2016 server eval, fresh install.