Python script accessing own source code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 13 03:29:57 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 5:27 PM Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 12/05/2021 20:17, Mirko via Python-list wrote:
> > Am 12.05.2021 um 20:41 schrieb Robin Becker:

> >> since GvR has been shown to have time traveling abilities such a
> >> script could paradoxically appear acausally.
> >> --
> >> yrs-not-too-seriously
> >> Robin Becker
> >

> > Not sure, if that's what you mean, but writing a self-replicating
> > script is easy too:
>
> actually I was really joking about self creating scripts that do something useful like finding future lotto numbers.
>
> the artificial programmer servant is some way off

Perhaps not so far off as you might think. With import hooks, it's
entirely possible to have a program that creates itself on demand -
for instance, you might transpile your script from some variant form
of the language (maybe you're trying out a proposed new syntax). It
won't help you with the lotto, but it certainly is an AI assistant for
a programmer that creates runnable code when called upon.

ChrisA