OT: Autism in discussion groups (was: Re: Proposal: Disconnect comp.lang.python from python-list)

Jason C. McDonald codemouse92 at outlook.com
Sat May 8 21:15:38 EDT 2021

> I disagree.  Many people are opposed to CoCs for a variety of reasons
> including the fact that many CoCs are political in nature.  Others
> oppose them for legal liability reasons.  On his radio show Ask Noah (a
> radio show about Linux), Noah has interviewed several people who oppose
> CoCs for political and legal reasons.  The Southeast Linux Fest in
> particular explicitly decided not to have a CoC for mostly legal reasons
> (which he described in episode 80).

That may well be. However, further complicating it are the people who
dislike accountability, as I first mentioned, but *reframe it* as a
"policial" or "legal" issue. There's no shortage of that, especially
in 2021.

If only we had a way to clear that smoke away and find out what earnest
objections remain. I, for one, haven't encountered any that didn't turn
out to be the aforementioned on further inspection. (But I don't know
all cases either.)

> I do agree asking people to simply not be stupid doesn't seem to work
> these days for whatever reason.

I hadn't noticed. ;)

--
Jason C. McDonald (CodeMouse92)