OT: Autism in discussion groups (was: Re: Proposal: Disconnect comp.lang.python from python-list)

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer arj.python at gmail.com
Sun May 9 04:31:49 EDT 2021

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 5:29 AM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably the same reason it has never worked. The only thing that's
> changed is the social acceptability of vilifying those you don't like.
> Once upon a time, there were those in the community who had all the
> power, and those on the fringes that had none, and if someone on the
> fringe misbehaved, everyone inside just shunned them and they left.
> Now, if someone on the fringe misbehaves and everyone treats them
> badly, there's a massive political kerfuffle and everyone gets hurt.

Just a note here, though not in relation to CoC but
as someone speaking English far away from a country
called America, sometimes i wonder at some changes
introduced just because it does not ring well within the
country. I agree that the US pushed many many changes
used around the world but English is not the property of
the people of a specific country. The English community
is the sum of people speaking English over the world.
Though i am very far from CPython contributions but once
changes no longer occur on the basis of technical reasons
it raises eyebrows far beyond CPython contributors.

Now in the Python community we must verify not only
grammatical and structural errors but also US-based
nuances in the language. This requires community
folks to be in tune with American current affairs and
ideological tendencies. This might be a bit too much
work as the bridge of union of the community is the Python
language, usage and tools. Though English is a core-part
of the programming language, this is going too deep.

A practical effect of this is that each and every event
posters, flyers and websites have to be double checked
against US nuances and phrasing. And the PSF must
make sure that events sponsored by it or affiliated must
follow the same standards.

This post is in no way a US-bashing one, or intended to be
hurtful in any way. It's an observation that some changes
appear totally ok to english speakers until you understand
that this and that sounds wrong in a particular country. This
poses the question of the legitimacy of the influence of a certain
nation over the PSF.

Kind Regards,

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
about <https://compileralchemy.github.io/> | blog