uninstall

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat May 1 20:05:12 EDT 2021

On 4/29/21 6:59 PM, Sian Doherty wrote:
> I’m trying to uninstall Python 3.8.5 on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 as I had multiple environments and as a result corrupted them.
>
> When I uninstall from control panel, it takes less than a second and says it uninstalled successfully but I can still access python through the command prompt by typing python.
>
> Is there a different way to uninstall that isn’t through the control panel? I would have thought I would do that and then clean out the registry separately and the %localappdata%\pip folder.
>
> Any thoughts?

There are some uninstall tools, of varying quality. Some depend on you
having been running them while the install happened, which is probably
not the case for you. Once you've messed up Windows' idea of the install
subsystem, it's not that easy to recover. Though some may disagree,
that's not really Python's fault, the install system seems pretty
fragile.  Sometimes if the the files needed to process the uninstall
have been removed but the uninstall itself didn't finish you're in
trouble - which isn't really the fault of the install system, but then
you ask how that scenario arose? anyway...

You could look for this tool:
MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab - an Internet search
should find it. it usually does a fairly good job of cleaning up messes
(well - it's worked well for me in a few dire situations).