Retrieving non-/etc/passwd users with Python 3?

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 31 08:15:49 EDT 2021

Hi,

I want to get a list of users on a Linux system using Python 3.6.  All
the users I am interested in are just available via LDAP and are not in
/etc/passwd.  Thus, in a bash shell I can use 'getent' to display them.

When I try to install the PyPi package

  getent

I get the error

    File "/tmp/pip-build-vu4lziex/getent/setup.py", line 9, in <module>
      long_description = file('README.rst').read(),
  NameError: name 'file' is not defined

I duckduckwent a bit and the problem seems to be that 'file' from Python
2 has been replaced by 'open' in Python 3.

So what's the standard way of getting a list of users in this case?

Cheers,

Loris