convert script awk in python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 20:31:41 EDT 2021

On 3/25/21 1:14 AM, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Does any one have a better approach?

Not as such.  Running a command and parsing its output is a relatively
common task. Years ago I wrote my own simple python wrapper function
that would make it easier to run a program with arguments, and capture
its output.  I ended up using that wrapper many times, which saved a lot
of time.

When it comes to converting a bash pipeline process to Python, it's
worth considering that most of pipelines seem to involve parsing using
sed or awk (as yours do), which is way easier to do from python without
that kind of pipelining. However there is a fantastic article I read
years ago about how generators are python's equivalent to a pipe.
Anyone wanting to replace a bash script with python should read this:

https://www.dabeaz.com/generators/Generators.pdf

Also there's an interesting shell scripting language based on Python
called xonsh which makes it much easier to interact with processes like
bash does, but still leveraging Python to process the output.
https://xon.sh/ .