convert script awk in python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 13:49:04 EDT 2021

On 24/03/2021 16:00, Avi Gross via Python-list wrote:

> But I wonder how much languages like AWK are still used to make new programs
> as compared to a time they were really useful.

True. I first discovered awk from a Byte article around 1988/9
and it became my goto tool for text munching right up until
I found Python in 1998.

I still use it as part of a unix command pipeline but I rarely
write awk scripts in a file anymore - if it's that complex I
reach for Python.

But at one time I had a dozen or more awk scripts in my ~/bin folder.

I also used awk on a real-world project to process csv files from an
Excel spreadsheet and create site-specific config files for some shiny
new WindowsNT(v3.1) boxes we were using. They had twin network
connections and hard coded IP settings(for resilience) and the network
designers delivered the site settings by Excel. We turned them into .BAT
files using awk.

Eventually, we figured out how to write Excel macros and converted
it all to VBA. Happy days. :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site