.title() - annoying mistake

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Mar 22 21:22:26 EDT 2021

On 23/03/2021 10.00, Avi Gross via Python-list wrote:
> Speaking for myself, I am beyond tired of this topic, however informative
> parts have been.

+1

> I will say it is irrational to try to impose rationally across all possible
> languages, let alone people like me who often combine 3 or more language in
> a single sentence when talking to others like myself with a dynamic to
> nonsensical grammar. Try capitalizing someone's name when they insist on
> being known by a purely numerical name like 7777..., or just 7 of 9 or even
> !@zq.

Further reading: "Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names"
(https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/)

> I have seen setups where a programmer makes every imaginable function they
> can think of but at some later point, some profiling of actual usage shows
> that 80% of them are NEVER used. Often, that is because nobody reads all the
> documentation to find out if it even exists or there is a simple workaround.
> If the only thing bothering you is that a small list of words like FBI comes
> out wrong, it is simple enough to write a function that post-processes the
> result of title() and changes those words back.

Pareto principle ~ 80:20 rule, or should that be written "80/20 rule" or
maybe "80/20 Rule"...

Python gives you the choice to use (or not use) many facilities. You may
also choose to rename such facilities, or to re-use Python's own names
to customise functionality. You have complete freedom to use Python in
any way(s) you see fit. Thus:-

Freedom
noun
UK  /ˈfriː.dəm/ US  /ˈfriː.dəm/
 the condition or right of being able or allowed to do, say, think, etc.
whatever you want to, without being controlled or limited:
Cambridge Dictionary

--
Regards,
=dn