.title() - annoying mistake

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 15:49:05 EDT 2021

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 4:31 AM Robert Latest via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> Mats Wichmann wrote:
> > The problem is that there isn't a standard for title case,
>
> The problem is that we owe the very existence of the .title() method to too
> much weed being smoked during Python development. It makes specific assumptions
> about a specific use case of one specific language. It doesn't get more
> idiotic, frankly.

The problem is that you haven't read the documentation :) It very
carefully does NOT define itself by language, and its behaviour is
identical regardless of the language used. Notably, it doesn't care
what script you're using, and will happily upper/lowercase letters in
a variety of different scripts, even in a single string.

ChrisA