python curses constant names for mouse wheel movements?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 19:21:02 EST 2021

On 07/03/2021 07:16, pjfarley3 at earthlink.net wrote:

> Where can I find any documentation of the correct curses constant name(s) to
> use for detecting a "wheel down" action?  Or do I just have to manually
> define my own BUTTON5 constant name for the wheel-down event?

I suspect you need to look in the ncurses documentation or
even the C code. And that is no guarantee that the Python
curses module will expose any values you do find other
than as numeric codes.

I would have expected the mouse wheel down/click to appear as
a BUTTON2 event to be honest. I didn't even realize there was
a BUTTON4 event defined let alone BUTTON5.

Incidentally, when you talk about wheel up/down are you
talking about wheel rotation events rather than actual
button down/up events? In that case 4 and 5 might make sense.

If you find the answer please post back, I'm very interested
since I'm in the middle of writing a book on the Python curses
module and was unaware of this behaviour. A whole new area
to explore.... I'm also interested in any documentation you
have already found on it - where did you get this understanding?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site