try to install Python3.9.2 / setup failed

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Mar 1 18:15:21 EST 2021

On 3/1/21 10:46 AM, manfred.schmidt at posteo.de wrote:
> Hello Python Team,
>
> i tried to install SW above; the installation stopped with the
> message
> "one or more issues caused the setup to fail.
> Please the issues and then retry
>
> 0x80070642 installation stopped by user"
>
> What must i do go get the SW installed?
> Windows 10, file "python-3.9.2-amd64.exe"
>
> Best Regards from Lake of Constance
> Manfred Schmidt

With all due respect to the Microsoft folks here, Windows installation
is a bit of a mess.  When it finds something it doesn't like, it tends
to throw its hands up and give you back an error that has a chance of
not being terribly helpful to you, the user: you get a hex code, and an
error string that doesn't seem to apply (pretty sure your installation
wasn't stopped by _you_, despite what it says, though it _possibly_
could have been stopped by an external actor, like an antivirus
program). Often these kinds of problems don't have a lot to do with the
thing being installed, and do have a lot to do with other conditions.

In my experience, this means you need to run some of the fixit tools to
make sure your system doesn't have corruption that is confusing it.  Try
the ones from Microsoft - there's usually no need for third-party ones.
I've had good luck with the one in the following link, though obviously
no guarantees it will take care of this _specific_ issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d