Where did the message go?

Grimble grimble at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Jun 15 09:04:41 EDT 2021

On 14/06/2021 20:58, dn wrote:
> On 15/06/2021 01.00, Grimble wrote:
>> I have two machines running Mageia 8 and Python 2.8.9, They use the same
>> Python script to maintain a list of changed packages from dnf update and
>> dnf install. In addition the script sends a short email message to my
>> main email address. The problem is: the message from machine B arrives,
>> the message from machine H does not.
>> The part of the script that sends the message is:
>>     with open('email.txt') as fmail:
>>          msg = EmailMessage()
>>          msg.set_content(fmail.read())
>>
>>      msg['Subject'] = 'System update'
>>      msg['From'] = sysname
>>      msg['To'] = 'graeme at XXXX.XXXX' (details removed to protect the
>> innocent)
>>
>>      # Send the message via our own SMTP server.
>>      s = smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
>>      s.set_debuglevel(True)
>>      s.send_message(msg)
>>      s.quit()
>>
>> The last lines of s.set_debuglevel are
>> reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'2.0.0 Ok: queued as B57B42C042F'
>> data: (250, b'2.0.0 Ok: queued as B57B42C042F')
>> send: 'quit\r\n'
>> reply: b'221 2.0.0 Bye\r\n'
>> reply: retcode (221); Msg: b'2.0.0 Bye'
>>
>> The SMTP part of the system is working (hence this message).
>> The message from machine B correctly interprets "sysname" as
>> sysname at sysname.XXXX.XXXX i.e a valid addr4ess.
>>
>> Where do I look now, please?
>
> That's machine B, but the issue is with machine H.
> Have you compared the contents of the two machines' /var/log/maillog?

Thanks for reminding me of the  log files. I've worked out that the
message on machine H (for haydn, which shows my preferred music genre)
was bouncing because haydn.XXXX.XXXX was not a registered subdomain with
my ISP, whereas bach.XXXX.XXXX was registered. Sorted now.

--
Grimble
Registered Linux User #450547