Terminology: EU language skills, and Master to Main (or ...)

jan rtm443x at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 14 01:10:20 EDT 2021

Hi,
see below

On 13/06/2021, dn via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> [to folk subscribed to both the Python list and Python-Tutor: apologies
> for cross-posting]
>

> Regarding levels of skill or complexity in learning, the European Union
> has been working on "The Common European Framework of Reference for
> Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment". It also standardises
> terminology for spoken/national-language training courses.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

To re-state what you already said but I didn't pick up on, this is
natural spoken languages.

[snip]

> A group at the King Juan-Carlos University (Madrid, Spain) is collecting
> practitioners' opinions in a bid to categorise Python mastery according
> to the Framework. You may like to contribute by responding to their
> research surveys (one form takes five-minutes, the other fifteen):
> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdlzWGpvZHLHXl6iEdHbLTB6QvYXknrD9-JKmzY7riYJkPmNw/viewform

Also I'm not sure there's much to relate artificial (programming)
languages with natural (spoken) ones.

'Mastery; of python programming is almost meaningless because if you
are a decent programmer you will be able to pick up new paradigms
*reasonably* straightforwardly, and paradignms thus internalised
(functional/OO/procedural/logic/etc) will then transfer fairly easily
across languages.

Also it's about problem solving which is an independent skill altogether.

Also it includes transferrable prior experiences and
knowledge/exposure ("IThere's a library for that" / "regexps are a
trap here" / "just use a parser generator, don't write it by hand" /
"The largest element every time? Let me introduce you to the Heap data
structure" / "if you stick a bloom filter in front of that you can cut
out 90% of database accesses here")

If you're a good scala programmer it will take only a few weeks to get
up to speed with python - I've done it. Most of that time went on
learning the libraries (of python, and scala) anyway.

> I like to label tutorials and conference-talks (and sometimes individual
> slides/sections) to indicate levels of complexity. However, have
> replaced abstract terms such as "Beginner" or "Junior", "Intermediate",
> and "Advanced" or "Senior" which all sound school-ish; with the three
> terms: "Apprentice", "Journeyman", and "Master" (see also
> https://leanpub.com/b/python-craftsman).

Just words.

[snip]

> There is a potential-problem in the rising sensitivity of the word
> "Master", eg the git CVS has replaced the idea of a Master-branch with
> "Main branch" (or user-chosen alternative name). Will referring to
> skilled professionals as 'masters (of their profession/craft)'
> transgress (international or at least US-instigated) 'Political
> Correctness'?

I've never seen any of this at my workplaces. When I occasionally read
about this on the web and follow up to the source posts of those doing
this, my impression is there are a few, vocal people who are just
there to disrupt rather than do anything constructive.
That may be reporting bias though so my view may be of questionable reliability.

Basically I've not seen much if any value in this PC stuff.

> What do you think a professionally-recognisable series of skill-levels
> for programmers?

Fine. If you can do it in any meaningful sense.

jan