jython getting started question

Steve Pruitt bpruitt at opentext.com
Fri Jun 11 09:24:45 EDT 2021

Not sure if this is the right list for jython questions.

I am getting started with both python and jython.  My use case need is invoking python from java.  org.python:jython:2.7.2 loaded ok.

To check, I executed the following.

ScriptEngineManager manager = new ScriptEngineManager();
List<ScriptEngineFactory> engines = manager.getEngineFactories();

Engine name: Oracle Nashorn
Version: 1.8.0_242
Language: ECMAScript
Short Names:
nashorn
Nashorn
js
JS
JavaScript
javascript
ECMAScript
ecmascript
Engine name: jython
Version: 2.7.2
Language: python
Short Names:
python
jython

The output looks like I have two engines:  Oracle Nashorn and jython (the one I need).  But when, I try:

ScriptEngineManager manager = new ScriptEngineManager();
ScriptEngine engine = manager.getEngineByName("jython");

engine is null.  I tried the python short name and got a null engine too.

Thanks.