Replacement for Mailman

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Tue Jun 8 20:45:08 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-08, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 4:36 PM, Jon Ribbens via Python-list wrote:
>>>
>>> According to https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/requirements.html
>>> mailman 3.x still requires Python 2.7 for the archiver and the web UI.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that's out of date.
>
> https://pypi.org/project/mailman/
> 3.3.4 works with 3.6 to 3.9

That's doesn't provide the complete answer though. A Mailman 3
installation requires multiple packages to be installed, including:

  * Mailman Core
  * Postorius
  * MailmanClient
  * HyperKitty
  * HyperKitty Mailman plugin
  * Django
  * uwsgi / gunicorn / etc

>From a brief look, I think all of these support Python 3.6+.

Obviously, the delegation of separate functions of the system to
separate packages is in many respects entirely sensible, but it
also seems likely that this complexity is the cause of the very low
take-up of Mailman 3.