Python and Ubuntu versions

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Fri Jul 23 19:35:28 EDT 2021

On 24Jul2021 09:22, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:
>> Rereading this, maybe I was unclear. This is for install directories
>> like /opt/Python-3.whatever or /usr/local/python-3.whatever. Create the
>> install point, chown, install as yourself.
>>
>> I agree about the risk of future mangling - there's a good case for
>> chowning it all to root _after_ the install. I'm just trying to do the
>> install itself in an unprivileged mode.
>
>Ah, I see what you mean. In that case, it's probably fine, but I'd
>just take the simpler approach and "sudo make install" (or altinstall
>as the case may be).

Ah, but to me this is the moral equivalent of:

    wget random-install-script-url | sh

Ideally I'd be doing the install, and arguably the build, as a third
user, neither root (keep the system intact) nor myself (my data! mine!
don't you touch it!)

>> Probably for the OP, the simplest way is a local install as themselved,
>> eg in ~/opt/python-3.whatever. Not rootneed needed at all, and a few
>> symlinks in ~/bin (or adding ~/opt/python-3.whatever/bin to $PATH) are
>> all that's needed to make use of it.
>
>Yeah, exactly.

Aye.

But they seemed to be on the route of installing over the system Python,
and I was trying to talk them down to just a "system wide but off to the
side" install.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>