Python and Ubuntu versions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 05:51:53 EDT 2021

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 7:48 PM Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:
> Do the build and install as yourself. I usually do the install step by
> making the install directory as root, then chowning it to me. Then you
> can do the install as you - this has the advantage the you're
> unprivileged and can't accidentally damage the OS install.

That's interesting, in that it leaves you vulnerable to accidentally
damaging your alternate installation, but you're putting it into a
directory that normally would look privileged. I'd be inclined to
leave /usr as a privileged directory, and do this sort of installation
entirely within ~/bin or something equivalent. But hey, this is the
flexibility of Unix file system permissions!

ChrisA