Unfindable module: code

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Jul 2 09:00:05 EDT 2021

On 02/07/2021 11:44, Chris Angelico wrote:
> I've just spent half an hour trying to figure out how to mess with the
> Python REPL (specifically, how to implement a line-by-line interactive
> interpreter within a larger app). It's rather hard to find it, but the
> key module is "code".
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/code.html
>
> (How did I end up finding it? By searching the CPython source code for
> "ps1", since interactive mode looks at sys.ps1/sys.ps2 for its
> prompts.)

I would probably have done that too, but for "interpreter".

However, googling for "python interactive interpreter module" has the
code documentation as its second hit and

https://docs.python.org/3/library/custominterp.html

as its third.

> In the module index, it is listed thus:
>
> Custom Python Interpreters
> * code — Interpreter base classes
> * codeop — Compile Python code
>
> While this isn't *wrong*, per se, it does hide the fact that this is
> where the REPL can be found. IMO it would be helpful to say that in
> the summary, but I'm not sure what would be good wording.
>
> What do people think of calling it "Interactive interpreter and REPL
> implementation"?

To be honest, I think the "unfindable" part are the module names; I
don't see a big difference between your suggested and the current
description.