IDE tools to debug in Python?

Paul Bryan pbryan at anode.ca
Wed Jan 27 15:44:40 EST 2021

My experience with IntelliJ (related to PyCharm): it scans all source
files in the project, compiles them, graphs all dependencies, compiles
those (if necessary) or inspects their class bytecode, and so on to
build a full graph in memory to support showing errors in real time
(highlighting in source) and autocomplete when user is typing. In my
experience, it's heavyweight, and creates more reliance on the features
of an IDE than I feel is healthy (IDE becomes a crutch). I suspect
PyCharm is doing much of the same.