why sqrt is not a built-in function?

Michael F. Stemper mstemper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:21:17 EST 2021

On 15/01/2021 14.00, Chris Green wrote:
> Michael F. Stemper <mstemper at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree that, especially if you have experience in other languages, this
>>> feels odd, and I have some sympathy for you.
>>
>> I cut my teeth on FORTRAN, which has SQRT() as part of the
>> language. At least 3, 4, and 5 did; I never used later versions.
>>
> Surely III, IV and V.  I was definitely Fortran IV

I think that the listings for my cross-compiles for the Cyber 1700
actually said "FORTRAN 3" at the top of each page, but that was over
three decades back, so it's a little hazy. There weren't any standards
for it anyway.

You're spot-on for FORTRAN IV.

A quick check of wikipedia shows that the last one was better referred
to as FORTRAN 77, but I think that the NOS command to invoke the
compiler was FTN5.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28