Question - problem downloading Python

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Jan 14 16:39:14 EST 2021

> On 14 Jan 2021, at 06:52, christine tiscareno <tiscauk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I installed in my lap-top your latest version of Python (3.9.1), yet when I
> go to cmd.exe   to check,  I get that I have Python 22.7.17 ???
>
> Why? What should I do to get the latest version?
>
>  I tried going back to fix problems and it does not fix it, that is how I
> got your email.
>
> How can I get the latest Python version (3.9.1), instead of what I'm
> getting (22.7.17)?

I assume you typed "python".

And I assume that it is because you have python 2.7.17 installed and its on
your PATH.

To run python 3.9.1 do this in cmd.exe

py -3.9

It is also likely that just typing "py" will run python 3.9.1.
Typing "py -2" will run python 2.

Run this to find all the versions of python that you have available:

py -0

Barry