Application window geometry specifier

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:42:38 EST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,

> > > OK, so you admit that such apps do exist.  But I guess you knew that
> > > the OP is not writing that sort of application, and know who its
> > > intended audience is, and their work habits and preferences...
> > >

> > The difference isn't in what's best, but in what people are willing to
> > accept. Just because people roll over and accept the latest Windows,
> > the latest Mac OS, the latest PhotoShop, the latest Gmail, the latest
> > whatever else, doesn't mean that (a) they actually like it, nor (b)
> > it's actually better. (Which are independent.)
> >
> > When someone spends all their life in a single app, they're more
> > likely to learn its particular way of doing things and assume that
> > that's "correct". But that doesn't make it so.
>
> Correct.
> But when that same person goes to a different company where a
> different application
> is used, he expects it to behave the same. Because the functionality of such
> application is the same.
>
> Wouldn't you?
>
> It is called association.
>
> "I was working with Application A. Now I'm working with application
> AA. And application
> AA behaves very weirdly."

Yes, association is correct.

"I was working with Application A. Now I'm working with Application B.
And it behaves very weirdly."

It's entirely possible that App A was the bad one, and unfortunately,
that does happen. But this is exactly why it's better to follow the
standards. Unless you are so egotistical that you think your users
won't need *any* other applications in their lives, follow the
standards.

ChrisA