A beginning beginner's question about input, output and . . .

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:32:56 EST 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:18 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2021-01-12, songbird <songbird at anthive.com> wrote:
>
> >   it can be used for pretty much anything except perhaps
> > high pressure real time things, but i bet someone else will
> > know that is being done too, i've just not heard of it.  :)
>
> AFAIK, Python can't be used to write device drivers for any popular OS
> (Linux, Unix, Windows, OSX). It also can't be used on small embedded
> systems (real-time or not).

Depends how small. An RPi has a full Linux system and can easily run
Python scripts; and the pyboard runs a dedicated Python interpreter
called MicroPython, broadly compatible with CPython 3.5, I think (some
3.x version, anyhow), albeit with a cut-down standard library. The
pyboard is pretty tiny; according to the micropython.org blurb, it has
192KB RAM.

ChrisA