A beginning beginner's question about input, output and . . .

DonK don81846 at comcast.net.REMOVEME
Mon Jan 11 15:37:58 EST 2021

Hi, I'm thinking about learning Python but I'm 74 years old and will
very likely not ever have a programming job again. I used to program
in Visual Basic, C\C++, Delphi, etc. and some obscure "mainframe"
languages. It's been about 18-19 years since my last programming job.
I do understand programming concepts but I'm really not up on any of
the more modern programming languages.

I've installed Python 3.7, the PyCharm IDE and watched some Youtube
tutorials but it's been stretched out over about 1.5 years so I'll
probably need to go back to the beginning. My problem is that I don't
understand how Python programs are used. (i.e user input and output)
Is Python mainly used for backends?

I've seen some Python gui frameworks like Tkinter, PyQt, etc. but they
look kinda like adding a family room onto a 1986 double wide mobile
home, and they look even more complicated than creating a GUI from
scratch in C++ with a message loop, raising events . . .

So, what do you folks use Python for?

Nowdays I mainly just use programming for rather small utilities for
my personal use. Currently I'd like to write something to iterate
through open windows and save them to different folders depending on
if the titlebar contains certain strings. In the past I would probably
have used Excel's VBA to do this but I no longer have Excel installed
on my main computer. I'd like a bit of a challenge but I don't want to
spin my wheels trying to learn something that will be a dead end for
me.

I know that this probably seems like a stupid post but your input will
be useful.

Thank you.

   Don

I know that Python is a very popular language so I'm sorry if it
sounds like I'm being critical. I really don't know enough about it to
be critical.