better handling of "pinned" modules?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:21:18 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:18 AM Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this makes more sense here or on "python-ideas" (or
> elsewhere?) but I'll try this first:
>
> I am starting to encounter more and more instances of packages requiring
> older, pinned, versions of modules, and this is occasionally actually
> starting to cause conflicts.

The first thing to do is to see if those packages ACTUALLY need older
versions of those dependencies. There's a good chance they don't.

To avoid creating this sort of problem, don't depend on a highly
specific version of things; just depend on a minimum version, and if
there's a problem (ONLY if there's a problem), a maximum version.

ChrisA