editor recommendations?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Feb 26 13:19:35 EST 2021

On 2/26/21 7:51 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> I'm looking for an editor to use for Python programming, as well as
> related incidentals such as markdown files, restructured text, etc.
>
> I'm currently using vim, and the primary reason I've stuck with it for
> so long is because I can get truly black screens with it.  By which I
> mean that I have a colorful window title bar, a light-grey menu bar, and
> then a light-grey frame around the text-editing window (aka the only
> window), and a nice, black-background editing area.
>
> When I have occasionally tried other editors, they either don't support
> a black background, or the black background is only for the text-editing
> portion which leaves large portions of screen real-estate with a bright
> background, which is hard on my eyes.
>
> So, what's the state-of-the-art with regards to editors supporting dark
> color themes?

Of course this is going to be opinionated.

The editors I've tried don't do dark themes well, every theme seems to
get something wrong so you're trying to squint to read something in a
color that doesn't stand out sufficiently, etc., while something else is
too electric

I've stuck with vi/vim since it was written, but...

PyCharm (I know for sure, probably others have something like this
concept) has some modes to make some of the stuff you're not actually
using less... cruddy - it has a "distraction-free mode" and a "zen
mode".  Just for fun those might be sort of what you're looking for?