editor recommendations?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Feb 26 09:51:02 EST 2021

I'm looking for an editor to use for Python programming, as well as related incidentals such as markdown files, restructured text, etc.

I'm currently using vim, and the primary reason I've stuck with it for so long is because I can get truly black screens with it.  By which I mean that I have a colorful window title bar, a light-grey menu bar, and then a light-grey frame around the text-editing window (aka the only window), and a nice, black-background editing area.

When I have occasionally tried other editors, they either don't support a black background, or the black background is only for the text-editing portion which leaves large portions of screen real-estate with a bright background, which is hard on my eyes.

So, what's the state-of-the-art with regards to editors supporting dark color themes?

TIA.

--
~Ethan~