name for a mutually inclusive relationship

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 19:55:51 EST 2021

YAGNI? True, Chris, I never have.

And if I ever did, I might not even know someone has implemented similar
functionality with 86 optional function arguments that fine-tune what
happens in various cases and what error messages to supply, LOL! So, I would
end up re-implementing it myself.

But isn't this true for so much software we discuss here. The usual mantra
is that 80% of features are used maybe 20% of the time and a few are used
never except maybe while testing.

Realistically, it adds to bloat if a fairly well-defined object is extended
to handle every possible feature that is allowed, and then some. We recently
discussed the "+=" feature for an object when much of the time, it is pretty
much as useful as just using the longer way of adding something to yourself.
But loading a longer object description the 99% of the time when it is not
used, also costs a bit.

My comment was thus mostly academic and suggested realistic scenarios some
people use commonly enough that might be possibly to implement to make it
easier to deal with such a structure and that arguably such could also
handle this edge case. No reason to think this is an important thing to add,
just a category that could be doable.