Tkinter long-running window freezes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 25 09:54:15 EST 2021

On 2/24/2021 6:53 PM, John O'Hagan wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:03:30 -0500
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2021 6:35 AM, John O'Hagan wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I am trying this out on Windows 10, with a wider label (so I can move
>> the window) and a button that changes when pressed, and a sequential
>> counter.  Will report when the Window freezes, or maybe a day if not.

Counter is up to 777000 with no problem.

> Thank you! I've only run a few tests because of how long it takes
> to freeze, but so far it seems that the trigger for the window freezing
> is any attempt to interact with it, e.g. clicking on it, so try doing
> that from time to time.

I clicked on Window, clicked on label, clicked on button (collectively
at least 100 times), moved window all over screen, resized it multiple
times, maximized it and restored it a couple of times, and no problem.
I conclude for not that your issue does not occur on Windows.

>> Plus you seem to have a memory leak and may need to replicate that.
>
> Can you explain what you mean by "replicate"?

I don't remember, so forget it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy