New Python implementation

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Fri Feb 19 14:01:54 EST 2021

Benjamin,

I wonder if you understood my intended meaning not about the plusses and minuses of using a language like LISP but that it is fundamentally build on using the CONS concept to make lists in a poetic way but has no PROSE.

Not only does every language have what I meant by the usual meaning of pros and cons, but it depends on what other languages you are comparing it to, what kind of work you use the language for, is it for prototyping or final and efficient use, will someone else be extending or maintaining it, and which side of the bed you woke up on.

I used to be a fan of brevity as in whatever make me type less. But over time, many functions you call now have so many arguments, that I am now a fan of specifying the names of each argument as in function_name(arg1=value1, arg3=value3, ...) because it makes it much clearer what you want and prevents a certain class of errors. Nonetheless, I despise very long variable names, even when the editor allows for name completion. I thus like to place many commands on multiple lines to be read somewhat vertically and short lines. Others prefer the opposite. If a language hinders this style of multi-line, it is a plus or minus depending.

(cons "A" (cons "v" (cons "I" nil)))