Python 0.9.1

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Feb 19 02:08:33 EST 2021

Am 16.02.21 um 22:57 schrieb Skip Montanaro:
> A note to webmaster at python.org from an astute user named Hiromi in
> Japan* referred
> us to Guido's shell archives for the 0.9.1 release from 1991.

> I then pushed the result to a Github repo:
>
> https://github.com/smontanaro/python-0.9.1

That's a nice find!

Reading the README, it occured to me that it refers to the shell, awk
and perl as contenders for Python[1], but not to Tcl. I would have
thought that in 1991, Tcl was one of the obvious choices as an extension
language. At that time, it had already progressed to version 6 [2]

Was Guido not aware of Tcl, or did he not think that it is a contender
in the same area?

	Christian

[1] "Python, an extensible interpreted programming language [...] can be
used instead of shell, Awk or Perl scripts, to write prototypes of real
applications, or as an extension language of large systems, you name it."

[2] https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Tcl+chronology