I need some help interpreting this error

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 17 12:36:48 EST 2021

Stefan Ram <ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> writes:
> >    chris at cheddar$ tail mail.err
> >    Traceback (most recent call last):
> >      File "/home/chris/.mutt/bin/filter.py", line 95, in <module>
> >        if sbstrip in msghdr["subject"]:
> >    TypeError: argument of type 'Header' is not iterable
> >But msghdr["subject"] is surely just a string isn't it?  Why is it
> >complaining about something of type 'Header'?
>
>   I presume that the error message has been edited (abbreviated).
>
>   In "if sbstrip in msghdr["subject"]:", there is no argument.
>
>   But the error message says "argument of ...".
>
>   When something that is not iterable is presented to a for loop,
>   the error message does not mention "argument":

I have output everything that appears, I've not changed it at all.
It's the whole content of the file ~/tmp/mail.err as it's the only
error that has occurred for the last day or so.  The error log is
created by the line:-

    sys.stderr = open("/home/chris/tmp/mail.err", 'a')

So that's everything that was output to stderr.

I think you are puzzled in the same way that I was, the error message
doesn't make a lot of sense.

--
Chris Green
·